Competitive exam questions in Zoology and Botany
1. The hydatid disease in humans is caused by which one of the following:
(a) Cystic stage of Taenia solium
(b) Cystic stage of Fasciola hepatica
(c) Cystic stage of Echinococcus granulosus
(d) Adult stage of Dipylidium caninum
2. Which one of the following types of pseudopodia is found in Actinophrys?
3. In which of the following groups of Arthropoda, do the body divisions include cephalotorax and abdomen?
(a) Crustacea only
(b) Crustacea and Arachnida only
(c) Crustacea, Arachnida and Onychophora only
(d) Crustacea, Arachnida, Onychophora and Chilopoda
4. The water vascular system in echinoderms is known to consist of the following structures. But in Asterias, which one of them is absent?
(a) Ring canal
(c) Polian vesicles
(d) Stone canal
5. With reference of Palaemon, which one of the following statements are correct?
(a) Hastate plate is present in pyloric stomach
(b) 13 pairs of cephalothoracic and 6 pairs of abdominal appendages are present
(c) Statocyst as a sensory structure is located at the base of second antenna only and attached to ventral wall
(d) The gonopore in male is present at the base of each fourth walking leg
6. Consider the following statements:
1. Contractile vacuoles in Paramecium help in osmoregulation.
2. Peristome in Paramecium is situated on its ventral surface.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
7. Which one of the bones had a maximum tendency towards reduction in the vertebrate phylogeny?
(a) Dermal bones
(b) Sesamoid bones
(c) Appendicular bones
(d) Replacing bones
8. Match list-I with list-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
A. Dromaeognathous skull 1. Pigeon
B. Desmognathous skull 2. Sparrow
C. Schizognathous skull 3. Duck
D. Aegithognathous skulls 4. Tinamus
A B C D
(a) 4 2 3 1
(b) 3 2 1 5
(c) 4 3 1 2
(d) 3 4 2 5
9. Chordae tendinae is a part of the:
10. Consider the following statements
(i) Claspers in sharks are posterior extensions of pelvic fin
(ii) Claspers in sharks are modified pectoral fins
(iii) Gonopodium in a few teleosts is specialized anal fin
(iv) Gonopodium in a few teleosts is partly modified caudal fin
Of these statements
(a) i and iii are correct
(b) ii and iii are correct
(c) i and iv are correct
(d) ii and iv are correct
11. Which of the following pair(s) of animals and organs is/are correctly matched?
(i) Balanoglossus — Oral hood
(ii) Ascidian — Tube feet
(iii) Amphioxus — Velum
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
(a) i, ii and iii
(b) i and iii
(c) ii alone
(d) iii alone
12. Can the wing of Draco be homologized with that of bat?
(a) Yes, because both have membranes of skin
(b) No, because membranes in Draco are supported by greatly lengthened six pairs of ribs and in bat by the anus, greatly elongated 2nd through 5th fingers, hind limbs and usually all or part of the tail
(c) Yes, because wings of both of them can be folded and expanded according to the need
(d) No, because the wing of Draco is used for gliding while that of bat is used for flying
13. The largest and the most powerful adductor muscles in flying bird is the
(a) coracobrachialis longus
(b) pectoralis major
(c) pectoralis minor
(d) tensor longus
14. Which one of the following sets of derivatives of integumentary structure characterizes birds as glorified reptiles?
(a) Syrinx and scales
(b) Scales and claws
(c) Claws and uropygeal glands
(d) Syrinx and uropygeal glands
15. Which one of the following does not have a specialized heart?
(b) Dog fish
(d) Scaly ant-eater